Tips for keeping your automated gates in mint condition
There are many benefits to having automated gates in front of your Toronto business—they provide extra security, allow you to control who gets in and serve as an elegant entrance to your property. However, if you want your iron or chain-link gates to keep working well and looking good for years to come, you need to make sure to provide proper maintenance. Here are our tips for keeping your automated gates in top shape.
Automated gate maintenance
Below are a few things you should do to keep your automated gates in good working order for a long time.
• Visual inspection: looking over the key parts of your gate each month can help you spot small problems before they turn into big issues. Pay special attention to all moving parts, including the opener, metal racks, chain or belt drive, electrical connections and bearings.
• Pest removal: insects and other pests can wreak havoc on the electrical controls of your automated gates, and the slightest bit of condensation from spider webs or slime from snails and slugs can destroy the circuit board quickly. Check the circuit board and remove any dead insects and spider webs from the gates when you notice them.
• Remove rust: getting rid of rust on your gates quickly keeps it from spreading. In its early stages, it can be easily removed by washing the gate with mild detergent. If soap doesn’t work, scrape the rust off with sandpaper. Apply a rustproofing paint or coating once you’re done.
• Keep it clean: if left to the elements, an automated gate can start to look old and battered and require expensive refurbishment. Keep it looking brand new by cleaning your gate thoroughly and waxing it once a year.
• Lubricate: any machine with moving parts needs to be properly lubricated to continue to work properly. Every six months, apply white lithium grease or a silicone-based lubricant to all the moving parts of your gate.
Note: Don’t use WD-40 as a lubricant. It’s actually a cleaning product and will not provide the lubrication necessary for keeping your gate working smoothly.
If you notice that the gate or fence on your Richmond Hill or Oakville property is damaged, we can repair it for you. City Fences also provides commercial and industrial fencing installation to companies all over the Greater Toronto Area. Contact us today for quality gate repair or custom fences for your business.