01/25/2017 0 Comments
WINTER MAINTENANCE TIPS FOR YOUR FENCE IN TORONTO
The winter season can impact just about everything, including your property fence. Luckily, there are simple steps you can take to prevent and minimize cold weather damage to your steel, metal or wrought iron fence in Toronto. Read on to learn how you can get a leg up on winter fence care to help you avoid costly repairs or replacements down the road.
Wrought Iron Fence
- It’s a good idea to clean your wrought iron fence once a week to improve its longevity.
- It’s an even better idea to clean it before the first snow fall, as snow tends to gather dirt and grime, which will be left on your fence once the snow melts.
- If you notice rust on your fence, the best way to tackle it is to clean it off before it snows, as melting snow will only make matters worse.
- You can use a paint scraper or a wire brush to remove the rust. But if there is just too much of it, it may be a good idea to replace that specific part of your fence.
- Once you have removed the rust, you will want to sand, prime, and paint the fence to properly seal it and give it a brand new finished look.
- Don’t let snow accumulate on your fence. Take the time to brush it off after every snowfall to prevent water from seeping into any potential areas that may be flaking.
- If you have noticed rust, you will need to repaint your fence to prevent the damage from worsening.
- Use a stiff metal brush to remove the rust and then wash the fence to remove all lingering debris.
- You will then need to apply a coat of primer once the fence is dry. Follow it up with a coat of paint.
- It’s best to treat your rust problem as soon as possible to avoid bigger problems from surfacing in the spring.
- Though metal fences are one of the strongest you can buy, they too can experience some form of damage over the years, which will require necessary repairs or replacement.
- Check your fence for any exposed metal, particularly towards the grass where mowers or weed whackers may have chipped the coating.
- Be sure to touch up any exposed metal with appropriate coating to prevent rust from developing.
- If you have already noticed rust, you will have to scrape it off, wash off the debris, and then paint the area to prevent the rust from spreading.
Call City Fence today at 416-506-0135 to learn more about winter maintenance care for your chain link or wrought iron fence in Toronto. You can also contact us online with any questions and we will get back to you soon.