When it comes to fencing materials, nothing beats the durability and classic appearance of wrought iron. And while wrought iron ornamental fencing is more expensive than other materials like wood, vinyl and chain link fencing, iron has many advantages. Here are six.
1. Timeless appearance. Wrought iron has a classic look that never goes out of style. Its elegant appearance is perfect for stately homes and commercial businesses. Wrought iron comes in numerous styles and designs, from antique to modern. Popular wrought iron fence elements include:
· Baroque-inspired designs
· Circle and sphere accents
· Gothic shapes
· Intricate curves
· Leaves and vines
· Twisted columns
Finials — the decorative spires atop the iron fence posts — also come in numerous designs to make the fence stand out.
2. They’re durable. Wrought iron is one of the most long-lasting fencing materials. Iron fences withstand extreme cold and heat and don’t warp or rot. Much of the wrought iron on balconies in the French Quarter of New Orleans has been around since the 1850s.
3. They’re easy to maintain. Iron is susceptible to rust and requires painting. However, maintaining a wrought iron fence is relatively easy. When you see a scratch or rust developing on your fence, scrape it away with a metal brush, wash it off and then cover it with primer and paint. Barring a major accident like a tree falling or a car crashing into it, you’ll rarely need to arrange for professional fence repair.
4. They maintain your view. Iron fencing allows for a sense of security without blocking the view in either direction. Maintaining clear lines of sight around your yard also improves security because it limits opportunities for would-be thieves to hide.
5. They provide security. A 2.5-metre-high iron fence is difficult to scale, nearly impossible to cut through and provides a high level of security. You can also incorporate a security gate into the design for added protection and access control. Finials atop the iron posts also serve as a deterrent for intruders.
6. They add value. Although wrought iron is more expensive than other materials, its timeless appearance and durability add value to your property. The initial investment pays off over time because it needs minimal maintenance.
Iron fences and fence installation in Toronto
At City Fence Inc., we carry a wide range of ornamental wrought iron fences to suit any budget and security requirements. We also carry gates in a variety of styles. Contact us today for a free estimate for your ornamental fence installation. We’ve been trusted fence builders in Toronto for more than 35 years.